World Famous Brazilian soccer legend, Edson Arantes do Nascimento, popularly known as Pele has said he is currently recuperating after undergoing surgical removal of a tumour in his right colon.
Pele gave this information in a Facebook post on Monday stating that he is feeling well and is hopeful about his chances for a full recovery.
In his words, the soccer maestro expressed gratitude to the internet community while giving an update on his health condition. “My friends, thank you very much for the messages of affection. Last Saturday I underwent suspicious injury withdrawal surgery on my right colon. The tumour has been identified in carrying out the exams I mentioned in the last week”, he wrote.
The octogenarian who does well to carry his social media family along expressed sanguinity for his career upon recovery. “Luckily, I’m used to celebrating big wins alongside you. I’m going to face this match more with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy to live surrounded by love from my family and friends,” he said.
Medical officials told news agencies CNN and NBC News that Pele is at Albert Einstein Israelite Hospital in Sao Paulo where he is recovering in the intensive care unit.
The news of the surgery procedure is coming just a few days after Pele refuted reports that he had fainted.
Earlier on Tuesday, Pele had made a post on Instagram to debunk the news of fainting. He wrote, “Guys, I didn’t faint and I’m in very good health. I went for my routine exams, which I had not been able to do before because of the pandemic. Let them know I don’t play next Sunday!”
Pele was an instrumental part of the Brazilian national soccer teams that won World Cup championships in 1958, 1962 and 1970. His club side career saw his Santos team winning nine São Paulo league championships as well as both the Libertadores Cup and the Intercontinental Club Cup in 1962 and 1963, respectively.
He scored 77 goals for Brazil, including 12 in World Cup matches, and racked up 1,283 goals in first-tier league games.
Although the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have exceeded his highest goal mark, the soccer Lord reserves a reputable position in the global soccer ball of fame.