Metro Top Story

Third Mainland Bridge is safe, Federal Works Ministry insists

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Image Credits: Channels TV.

Ask public to discountenance circulating video as five-years old

Many Lagosians have been scared lately by a circulating video of an old Channels TV news report on a faulty expansion joint at the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos.

But the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing says the bridge is safe and the video is a five-year old one that keeps popping up.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, on Monday told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in an interview that the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos is structurally okay and safe for use.

Engr. Olukayode Popoola, Federal Controller of Works

Popoola said Nigerians should disregard rumours carried on social media that the bridge was shaking.

He said the video being used to spread fear on social media is the same one being recycled every year for the past five years to cause panic, adding that, the portion in the video had long been fixed.

Popoola recalled that the Federal Government recently completed the replacement of 12 expansion joints on top of the bridge earlier in February 2021 and rehabilitation works underneath the bridge was ongoing.

He said the massive repairs carried out on top of the bridge earlier in the year represented only 10 per cent of the contract, while underwater repairs account for 90 per cent of the project.

Popoola said the Third Mainland Bridge is very important to the federal government hence, the extra attention accorded the bridge which links the commercial hub on the Island in the state.

Also read  Lagos and Kano seek one per cent revenue allocation for megacity status

“I have gone on Third Mainland Bridge today and have gone round the bridge and there is nothing like that bad portion being circulated. I want to put the record straight, this is not the first time such rumours would be going round, it started about five years ago that somebody would just wake up and post this same video on social media and then people begin passing it and then cause panic to road users. I want to assure all residents of Lagos and road users that there is no problem with Third Mainland Bridge, it is safe and still comfortable,” he said.

The controller said the bridge is important to the nation “so federal government cannot afford to allow anything happen to it”.

He said that underwater repairs which include replacement of piers, shafts and pile caps was about 20 per cent completed and the work does not affect the movement of vehicles on top of the bridge.

The controller said the bridge was constantly receiving routine attention in addition to other bridges under various levels of rehabilitation in the state.

The Third Mainland Bridge at 11.8km is the longest of the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland.

The bridge starts from Oworonshoki, which is linked to the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway and the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and ends at the Adeniji Adele Interchange on Lagos Island.

Constructed in 1990, the bridge was adjudged as the longest in Africa until 1996 when the Oct. 6 Bridge in Cairo, Egypt was completed.

(with NAN report)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.