Health Top Story

Lagos discharges 48 more patients, records 2 more COVID-19 deaths

Reading Time: 2 minutes

The Lagos State Government said that 48 coronavirus patients were discharged from four isolation facilities on Thursday, after testing negative twice for the virus.

Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said, on his verified Twitter handle, that those discharged were all Nigerians, comprising 32 males and 16 females.

Sanwo-Olu said that with this new development, the number of patients that had been successfully managed and discharged in Lagos stood at 406.

“Dear Lagosians, we will continue to celebrate and acknowledge our wins, as well as reflect on our losses.

“These will help us stay on course, prevent us from being distracted, help us stay focused as we face this pandemic head-on.

“Therefore, I’m pleased to announce to you the discharge of 48 more patients; 32 males and 16 females, all Nigerians who were discharged from our Yaba, Lekki, Onikan and Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) isolation facilities to reunite with the society.

“The patients, 28 from the Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, six from Lekki, one from Onikan and 13 from LUTH Isolation Centres were discharged having fully recovered and tested negative to COVID-19 in two consecutive readings.

“With this new development, the number of COVID-19 confirmed cases that have been successfully managed and discharged in Lagos stands at 406,’’ the governor said.

The COVID-19 ‘Incident Commander’ said that there was the need for all Lagosians to also be careful, remain guarded and show commitment and cooperation with authorities as “all residents are in the fight together’’.

“Our wins are your wins, our losses, your losses,’’ he said.

Also read  Broadcasters' Hall of Fame inducts Dokpesi, Izamoje, Craig, others

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, on Thursday announced  two more deaths from COVID-19 infection, saying that the  number of confirmed cases in the state had increased to 1,324.

However, Abayomi, who made the disclosure on his Twitter account, did not provide additional information on the age, sex, nationality and medical history of the dead persons.

“Lagos recorded two more #COVID-19 related deaths, bringing total deaths associated to COVID-19 in Lagos to 33.”

The commissioner recalled that the state had on May 6, recorded 82 new cases of COVID-19 infections, which brought the number of confirmed cases to 1,324.

According to him, about 37 additional patients have fully recovered, while 19 females and 18 males, including an Indian have been discharged.

“The total number of COVID- 19 patients discharged in Lagos State is now 358,” he said.

The commissioner appealed to Lagos residents to adhere strictly to directives, aimed at preventing further transmission of the virus in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the state has 915 active cases with two patients evacuated and 16 transferred to Ogun and Ondo States.

Data from the Africa Region of the World Health Organisation show that there are 51, 239 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 2,006 deaths recorded across Africa. (NAN)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.